Saturday, December 5, 2009

My First Big Fish

Not far down the road from where I was born there is a small pond. It's still there today, howbeit surrounded by brush and weeds. When I was about 6 years of age dad took us fishing there. I have great memories of fishing with dad! The pond was not very big and surely not very deep. On this particular day I remember tossing in my line near a log that was floating about 6 feet from the bank. All of a sudden I saw a big wave erupt from near the log. It caught my attention, but nothing else happened so I went back to my daydream. A few minutes later I stood up and started reeling in the line. Immediately the water started thrashing and splashing. I had caught something!! I was so startled and scared that I just started backing up, forgetting all about this thing called a reel. Dad came to my rescue and encouraged me on. I backed up and dragged a 13-inch largemouth bass onto the bank! Wow, was I ever excited! And dad was, too. That was a great day, and I believe when the joy of fishing was cemented in my brain. I have been a loyal fisherman ever since.

1 comment:

  1. Dad that was a great story!! Thank you for documented that!! I would love to hear more stories on your blog!

    ReplyDelete