Saturday, December 5, 2009

Early Driver Training

I was what one might call a curious child. Mom will tell you I wasn't a trouble maker; it's just that trouble seemed to follow me everywhere. When I was about 3 or 4 years of age we were living on the Katie Burkey Farm. Dad had a car parked on a small hill near the house. Deciding it was time to check out dad's wheels, I strolled up the hill and climbed aboard. I remember sitting there playing with the steering wheel and pushing all kinds of buttons on the dashboard. Now, this was one of those cars that used buttons on the dashboard to control the transmission. All of a sudden the car started moving forward down the incline. Yep, you guessed it - I had somehow taken it out of park! I remember frantically pushing and turning everything in sight - anything to get that car to stop moving. The distance wasn't that great, so thankfully the car didn't have time to get up much speed. The car came to rest against a wire fence and I hopped out. After looking around to make sure no one had witnessed my latest adventure, I walked into the house like nothing happened. As soon as I got inside mom jumped out and gave me the spanking of my life. Note to self - close the curtains next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment