Sunday, February 8, 2009

25 Things

It seems like a big thing these days to share tidbits about oneself, so I'm starting off this blog with a list of 25 things you might not know about me:

1. I was born in a small farmhouse in rural Pennsylvania. My great-aunt Florence Tobias delivered me. Evidently it was some sort of custom to bury the afterbirth under a tree and dad didn't disappoint. Perhaps he buried the baby instead?
2. I have had 13 broken bones in my lifetime, with no two of them coming at the same time. My proudest moment was breaking my thumb during a high school wrestling match. My most embarrassing was having my foot run over at church by a van driven by my priest quorum advisor!
3. I wanted to be a movie stuntman when I grew up. (That might explain the broken bones!) When it hurt too much to jump off of the neighbor's roof I decided to change direction.
4. My left arm went through an old-fashioned washing machine wringer up to the elbow when I was about two years old. I have the scar to prove it.
5. I was always trying to be the center of attention as a child. Or so they tell me.
6. One year, as a child, I shot my dad's Christmas lights out with a BB gun. I swear it was Pete Sivak's idea!
7. I kept in touch with my 3rd grade teacher, Mrs. Rhoads, until she passes away a few years ago in her mid 90's. She was the greatest!
8. My favorite sports are baseball and fishing. I much prefer the old days of our national pasttime. My favorite baseball players are Mickey Mantle and Tris Speaker.
9. I am left-handed, though I can play tennis with either arm.
10. My favorite colors are purple, blue, and black (in that order).
11. I went to vocational school while in high school (Berks Vo-Tech). My field of study was mass communications, with emphasis on graphic arts, journalism, still photography, television, and radio.
12. I like the beach, but not salt water.
13. My favorite food is anything from the sea. I absolutely love sushi!
14. I lived in Japan for two years (1980-82), serving as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
15. I have always wanted to sail around the world and would be perfectly happy on an island in the Pacific for the rest of my days (with my family, of course!).
16. I collect foreign currency and have a goal to own something from every country on the planet.
17. I had a heart procedure done at UVA Hospital at Christmastime in 2004 to correct a problem I have had for over 30 years.
18. My first name is from my father and my middle name is from my mother's father. Incidently, that's the usual pattern for naming sons when both names come from relatives.
19. I was in virtually every theatrical play during high school. My wrestling coach had a field day with that one.
20. I took my driver's test in a car with a stick shift (it belonged to my sister, Melody). I have always believed that if you can conquer the most challenging routes in life, you can overcome anything.
21. I first met my wife when she was engaged to someone else. And I had nothing to do with their breakup...honest!
22. As a young man, I absolutely loved Jerry Lewis. As an old man I love Jim Carrey.
23. I have been playing the guitar since the age of 13. My dad, the great guitar player I know, was my patient teacher. I hope I don't disappoint him. Influential guitar players (besides dad) are Ace Frehley, Carlos Santana, Joe Satriani, Takanaka Masayoshi, Pat Travers, and Robin Trower.
24. I would make a terrible traveling saleman because I hate being away from my family.
25. I love the Lord Jesus Christ with all of my heart and soul.

2 comments:

  1. That was a fun list! Maybe your favorite colors resemble a bruise because of all your childhood shenanigans?! haha! Heeeeey, I lived in Japan for 2 years, too, in the USAF. That's where I got baptised!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is sandi miller, by the way!

    ReplyDelete